Translation of driver licence for visitors in Australia
Overseas visitors to Australia holding a valid driver licence from their home country can drive within Australia for up to 3 months but they may be required to carry an English translation or an International Driver Licence.
We can translate your current German driver license:
- Send us a scan of your driver licence
- We translate your licence and attach it to your scan
- You carry both the scan, our attached translation and your original licence
When driving in NSW you must carry your overseas driver licence. Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in English, you must either carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit.
RMS - Roads and Maritime Services in New South Wales (formerly RTA - Roads and Traffic Authority
New South Wales)
...If your licence is in a language other than English you should carry a recognised English translation of the licence...
Queensland Government - Transport and Main Roads
...Driver's licence translations will only be accepted if they meet one of these conditions:
- an original document (photocopies, faxes and certified copies are not acceptable)
- translated by a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) approved translator and signed by the translator
- from a consulate office in Australia, signed by a consulate officer, and on official consulate letterhead
- from the South Australian Government Interpreting and Translating Centre or interstate equivalent, or the Federal Department of Social Services’ free translating service on the appropriate template....
Government of South Australia
...If your overseas licence is not in English, you must carry an international driving permit or an approved English translation of your licence with you when you drive....
Department of Transport, Western Australia
...When driving in the ACT a visiting driver must carry:
- Your foreign driver licence written in English; or
- Your international driving permit accompanied by your foreign driver licence; or
- Your foreign driver licence that is not in English, accompanied by an official English translation of the licence. An official translation means a translation by an Embassy or Consulate, The Department of Immigration and Citizenship or the National Accreditation Authority For Translators and Interpreters (NAATI)...
Australian Capital Territory, Road Transport Authority
ACT - Australian Capital Territory
...If your overseas licence is not in English, you must also carry either:
An International Driving Permit
An English translation of your licence by a person accredited to translate...
Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources, Tasmania
You can drive on your interstate or overseas licence in the Northern Territory (NT) for up to three months.
If your overseas licence is in a language other than English, and the type of vehicle you are authorised to drive cannot be easily recognised, you will also need to carry an International Driving Permit.
Northern Territory Government of Australia